Sunday 11 December 2011

Christmas shopping and gatecrashing a session

Now I don't know about you but I'm a bit of a last minute kind of person, so it's two weeks to Christmas and I haven't even started my Christmas shopping yet. So there's the dilemma I really need to get started on the acquisitive part of Christmas; do I Shop or Binge, Shop or Binge.

In an attempt to have my cake and eat it, I was toying with the idea of driving into Newcastle shopping for a couple of hours, driving back to Consett for the session and then returning to Newcastle for the last couple of hours......mmh not very environmentally friendly.

So while I was debating whether it was really worth the 30 mile round trip just for a swim, it struck me that there was a Newcastle Masters session in the City Pool. Could I just drop in and plead with Geoff Peart the Masters coach to let me in?

I guess with it being Christmas, and also the South Yorkshire Masters Meet I arrived (a little late having struggled to park the Bingemobile and eventually abandoned it behind a Lloyds Bank Office building where I was certain to be clamped) at a fairly quiet session (about 10 swimmers) and was welcomed in. About half way through the workout the penny obviously dropped with my coach for the day as he enquired whether or not this was a Binge session?

Now I just love the little pool at the City Baths, I love the greenhouse like glass roof and the ornate plaster work but most of all I love the fact that it's only 25 yards long and it feels really fast to swim in. Of course when I finished the set I could truly use the term yardage, it sounds so much better than meterage, thanks very much Geoff. Only 11,308 metres to go........


2 x 200 @ 3.00
2 x 150 @ 2.30  50 free, 50 back, 50 free
2 x 4 x 25 IM @ 2 mins
3 x 200 @ 3.00
100 50 free, 50 breast
4 x 25 @ 45s breast 1st 15 yards flat out
200 steady
4 x 25 @ 45s breast steady up, flat out from a dive back
200 steady
4 x 25 @ 45s free 1st 15 yards flat out
200 steady
4 x 25 @ 45s free steady up, flat out from a dive back
200 steady
4 x 50's @ 60  max effort on 1st 3 strokes (break out)
50 swim down
3000 yds
2,700 metres (actually 2743 metres to be precise)

No comments:

Post a Comment